Launch of GHG Protocol: Policy and Action Standard, Mitigation Goal Standard
On 21st November, the World Resources Institute will launch in Washington two new Greenhouse Gas Protocol Standards aiming to inform government climate change strategies.
These important new standards can help answer some of the most fundamental questions facing our planet going forward: Are countries on track to meet their climate commitments? How effective are specific local or national policies to drive carbon reductions? And will countries’ actions add up to limit warming to under 2 degrees Celsius?
Building on previous GHG Protocol standards, the Policy and Action Standard helps evaluate the effectiveness of specific policies or measures in achieving greenhouse gas emissions reductions, empowering policymakers and analysts to better assess and communicate their progress. The Mitigation Goal Standard takes a bigger picture view, enabling governments to determine their emissions trajectory and whether their policy portfolio aligns with reaching their climate goals. Both standards are applicable for all levels of government.
Examples of the Protocols in use
- How Tunisia used the Policy and Action Standard to calculate the benefits of a solar energy policy – read here
- How the Mitigation Goal Standard was used to accurately monitor South Africa’s progress toward lowering its mining sector emissions – read here
Remote access to the launch event will be available through a webinar (register).
|10:00-11:45 am||Presentations and Panel Discussions|
|11:45 am-12:30 pm||Lunch|
|12:30-4:45 pm||Training Workshop|
- Manish Bapna, Executive Vice President and Managing Director, WRI
- Pankaj Bhatia, Director, Greenhouse Gas Protocol, WRI
- Alexa Kleysteuber, Mitigation Advisor, The Independent Association of Latin America and the Caribbean (AILAC)
- Maurice LeFranc, Senior Advisor for International Climate Change, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Jennifer Morgan, Director, Climate and Energy Programs, WRI
- Sophie Siemens, Project Coordinator, Ministry of Environment, Chile
- Katia Simeonova, Manager, Mitigation, Data and Analysis Programme, Reporting and Analysis Programme United Nations Climate Change Secretariat
Do not miss other news from Energee Watch
/!\ OPEN CALL: Are you interested in becoming a Data4Action regional partner?
Data4Action story OPEN CALL: Are you interested in becoming a Data4Action regional Partner? Would you like to participate in a joint exchange with one of our DATA4ACTION expert partners to support your sustainable energy planning? Then please answer by October 15th: OPEN CALLS LINKS CONTACTS United Kingdom: Open Call: Are you interested in becoming a […]
New Observatory! Zlin Region Energy Monitoring Centre, CZ
. The Regional Energy Observatory in the Zlin Region was established by the Council of the Zlin Region on 13th July 2015 as the Zlin Region Energy Monitoring Centre. The monitoring centre is operated as a part of the Energy Agency of the Zlin Region (EAZK).
New Observatory! Energyhub.ie, Carlow Kilkenny Regional Energy Observatory, IE
Carlow Kilkenny Energy Agency aims to “lead and support Co. Kilkenny & Co. Carlow and beyond to reduce its CO2 emissions by stimulating and contributing to the implementation of best practice in the field of sustainable energy” (www.ckea.ie).
Data4Action project Thematic Workshop 21 May, Plovdiv (Bulgaria)
Tools and methodologies for an effective monitoring of SEAPs and its implementation 21st May 2015, Plovdiv, Bulgaria The Sustainable Energy Action Plan (SEAP) represents the key document of the Covenant of Mayors initiative, launched by the European Commission in 2009 in order to promote the 20-20-20 European targets among the municipalities all over Europe. More […]