Launch of GHG Protocol: Policy and Action Standard, Mitigation Goal Standard
On 21st November, the World Resources Institute will launch in Washington two new Greenhouse Gas Protocol Standards aiming to inform government climate change strategies.
These important new standards can help answer some of the most fundamental questions facing our planet going forward: Are countries on track to meet their climate commitments? How effective are specific local or national policies to drive carbon reductions? And will countries’ actions add up to limit warming to under 2 degrees Celsius?
Building on previous GHG Protocol standards, the Policy and Action Standard helps evaluate the effectiveness of specific policies or measures in achieving greenhouse gas emissions reductions, empowering policymakers and analysts to better assess and communicate their progress. The Mitigation Goal Standard takes a bigger picture view, enabling governments to determine their emissions trajectory and whether their policy portfolio aligns with reaching their climate goals. Both standards are applicable for all levels of government.
Examples of the Protocols in use
- How Tunisia used the Policy and Action Standard to calculate the benefits of a solar energy policy – read here
- How the Mitigation Goal Standard was used to accurately monitor South Africa’s progress toward lowering its mining sector emissions – read here
Remote access to the launch event will be available through a webinar (register).
|10:00-11:45 am||Presentations and Panel Discussions|
|11:45 am-12:30 pm||Lunch|
|12:30-4:45 pm||Training Workshop|
- Manish Bapna, Executive Vice President and Managing Director, WRI
- Pankaj Bhatia, Director, Greenhouse Gas Protocol, WRI
- Alexa Kleysteuber, Mitigation Advisor, The Independent Association of Latin America and the Caribbean (AILAC)
- Maurice LeFranc, Senior Advisor for International Climate Change, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Jennifer Morgan, Director, Climate and Energy Programs, WRI
- Sophie Siemens, Project Coordinator, Ministry of Environment, Chile
- Katia Simeonova, Manager, Mitigation, Data and Analysis Programme, Reporting and Analysis Programme United Nations Climate Change Secretariat
Do not miss other news from Energee Watch
EU-Strategy for the Alpine Region (EUSALP), Action Group Forum 14-16 February 2017 , Garmish Partenkirshen, Bavaria
On 14 and 15 February 2017, a Forum of the nine Action Groups of the EU Alpine Strategy will take place in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The Action Groups are responsible for the concrete implementation of the political priorities adopted by the General Assembly. The aim of the Action Group Forum is to coordinate the long-term activities concerning […]
Guidelines and Reporting Framework for the Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy available
To support new signatories of the new commitments of the Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy, launched in October 2015, the Covenant of Mayors reporting framework has been revamped.
Workshop/Webinar on Monitoring Energy Use in Transport, in Bilbao, 16 October 2014
In the framework of the COOPENERGY and DATA4ACTION European IEE projects, a Thematic Workshop took place on Thursday 16th October in Bilbao, Spain.The theme was: INSTRUMENTS AND METHODOLOGIES FOR REGIONAL AND LOCAL PLANNING, MODELLING AND MONITORING IN THE AREA OF SUSTAINABLE ENERGY AND TRANSPORT. . Find in the Members Area the video recording of the […]